On this episode of One Happy Podcast Maggie and I continue our “Planning an Aruba Vacation” series, with the latest episode being about packing for your trip. Although Maggie and I always travel together we have two very different packing styles. Her’s is to meticulously plan out each and every step and then bring something for every possible contingency. My packing style is to bring what you feel you’ll use and if it’s not enough… you make it enough.
While we all know the basics of packing, there are items that each of us likes to have on vacation with us. Depending on your likes and dislikes these specialty items can greatly increase what you bring along. For us, it almost doesn’t matter since we use Southwest airlines. Southwest allows us to check two pieces of luggage completely free. However if you are flying on a different airline, chances are you will want to be a bit more careful. Our specialty items list is comprised of things such as cameras, Kindles, a Bluetooth speaker and other entertainment type items. What are yours?
Another wrinkle that we have to consider on our Aruba vacations is provisioning for the home we rent. Most rentals do not stock the items you’ll need during your stay. So for our stay, at the beginning, we always make it a point to stop at Lings for supplies. Things like toilet paper, paper towels, and some cleaning supplies are all necessary. We also like to pick up food items for breakfasts and some lunches.
On this episode of One Happy Podcast you will hear about:
- Our different styles of packing for vacation
- What we bring along that isn’t exactly standard
- What supplies come with the home we rent
- Things we purchase for the home upon arrival
- What we like to bring from home as well as items we pick up upon our arrival in Aruba
Eight things you may want to seriously consider when packing for Aruba:
- Aruba is a very casual island so you don’t need as many “nice” clothes as you would elsewhere.
- Despite evening temperatures routinely being in the mid 80’s some restaurants are on the chilly side. You may want to bring a light sweater
- Bring sunscreen as it can be very expensive while on the island, especially if you are planning to purchase in the hotel gift shop
- Remember to bring your bug spray. Zika is on the island so do what you can to protect yourself
- Does the place you are staying have laundry facilities
- Although the sand in Aruba is talcum soft, you may still want to bring water shoes along since not all beaches are created equal. Also, some forms of sea life may be harmful if stepped on.
- If you plan on doing laundry while on vacation it may be easier to bring your own
- If your checked luggage gets lost for the first day will you have what is necessary to ensure the day is not a dud
Products talked about on this episode:
- Aruba Ray’s Comedy at the Marriott Stellaris Hotel and Casino
- Keep Your Stuff Safe bag
- Papasan Float
- Portable Luggage Scale