Episode 107: Aruba Curt and Maggie Feb 2018 Vacation Part 1
This week’s guest, Van Shumake, has been all over the world. Despite that, Van says that Aruba is one of the best places — if not the best place — he’s ever been in. Find out why on this episode of One Happy Podcast.
Van Shumake was a member of the Marine Corps, and as such, he was able to travel the entire world and lists Greece, Italy, and Spain as some of his favorite travel destinations. He thought nothing could ever top these until April 2016, he set foot in the little paradise called Aruba for the very first time.
“Aruba’s different. Aruba’s friendly. Aruba’s fun,” says Van as he recounts all the exciting activities he and his wife did in Aruba including suddenly renting out a car to go self-exploring the back side of the island, horseback riding, Sunset Sail, and Jolly Pirates. Van express his regrets of not being able to experience everything the island has to offer and he plans to make the most out of it on his next visit.
Among Van’s Aruba Bucket List are:
1. Go scuba diving
2. Go skydiving
3. Try the Full Throttle tours (listen to Episode 101 and 102 for the Full Throttle Tours special)
4. Get to the top of the California Lighthouse
5. Climb the top of Mt. Hooiberg
6. Swim at all beaches if possible
7. Get the Italian ice sold at Baby Beach
Trying more stuff in Aruba is Van’s goal. His military nature compels him to go off the beaten and immerse himself in the local areas. He will make sure that happens the next time he visits paradise.
Van also finds massive inspiration from Aruba which he applies to his t-shirt business. For those interested sells those Aruba-themed tee shirts which you can find on his website: https://uncommonsocietees.com/ or on Instagram @uncommon.societees
ON THIS EPISODE OF ONE HAPPY PODCAST, YOU WILL:
– Hear a funny story of how Van and his wife ended up walking from the lighthouse all the way to almost Palm Beach
– Know why he prefers Airbnb and timeshares as opposed to resorts
– Learn how he uses social media to get in touch with locals in Aruba
RESTAURANTS, EXCURSIONS, AND ESTABLISHMENTS MENTIONED: